Terms and Conditions
Below are the terms and conditions that apply when commissioning me. Please read through them carefully. By commissioning me you declare to have read, understood, and agree to them.
If you have any question regarding these, do not hesitate to contact me.
- Digital artwork can only be offered as high resolution digital download. Traditional artwork (i.e. watercolour paintings and pen(cil) drawings) can have the original be shipped to the client.
- The artist is located in the Netherlands but will ship artwork worldwide. Additional fees for packaging and shipping will apply.
- Usually the artist takes care of reference material. However, if the client has any personal or specific reference material they wish to provide, either for inspiration or to base the painting on, they are more than welcome to.
- For large projects (above €50) the artist will keep the client informed on progression of the commissioned artwork. Some small adjustments can be made along the way, within reason. For large or many changes to the (finished) artwork, additional fees may apply.
- For small projects (below €50) the commissioned artwork will be completed in one go, after discussing the wishes of the client of course. Any changes to the finished artwork will require an additional fee.
Payment and pricing
- A price is agreed upon after discussing wishes and ideas for the commissioned artwork with the client. This price does not yet include any potential shipping fees for traditional artwork.
- All prices are VAT free. My business has been exempted from VAT duties, so I no longer have to (or are allowed to) charge VAT for my work.
- Payment can be accepted through paypal or (international) bank transfer.
- Normally a deposit of 50% is required for work to start. The other half is paid upon completion of the commissioned artwork to the client’s satisfaction. However, alternative payment plans can be discussed.
- Under no circumstance will the original artwork be made available for download or shipped before full payment has been made.
- If the client decides to cancel the commission after agreeing to it, the artist reserves the right to keep the paid deposit, even if work has not yet started. If further payments beyond the deposit have been made and work has already started or been completed, the artist reserves the right to keep any paid money according to the proportion of work done.
- The artist reserves the right to cancel or refuse a commission at any time, prior to the start of or during work, for any reason. A refund will always be given on such occasions.
Copyright and use of commissioned artwork
- Copyright of the commissioned artwork remains with the artist under all circumstances, unless discussed otherwise.
- Unless discussed otherwise, the client may only use the commissioned artwork for personal enjoyment and display.
- The client is not allowed to edit, alter, or gain profit from the commissioned artwork in any way without express written permission from the artist. If the client wishes to (re)post the commissioned artwork anywhere on the internet, they need to ask permission, and the artist will provide a suitable watermarked version of the artwork.
- Exclusive and non-exclusive usage rights can be purchased along with the artwork. Think of use in books, field guides, posters, websites, merchandise, etc. Please discuss this with the artist while ordering a commission.
- The artist retains the right to display the complete commission in promotional material, both printed (e.g. business cards) and digital media (e.g. website or social media), regardless of usage rights sold to the client. All digital uploads will be at smaller size and watermarked.
- The artist retains the right to use the artwork in prints and other merchandise where appropriate, unless exclusive usage rights have been sold to the client.